How can I protect myself from vehicle theft?
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), a vehicle is stolen every 26 seconds in the United States.
Learn to reduce your risks.
Secure your vehicle:
- ∑ Lock your garage at home.
- ∑ Park in well-lit areas.
- ∑ Roll your windows up completely and when parked.
- ∑ Always lock your vehicle.
- ∑ Consider installing a vehicle alarm or other theft protection device.
- ∑ Never leave your vehicle unattended while the engine is running.
Secure your property:
- ∑ Always hide valuables
- ∑ Never hide a second key in or on your car
When parking on a street, turn your wheels toward the curb and set the emergency brake.
When parking in a driveway or parking lot follow these rules:
- ∑ If front-wheel drive, pull in forward and set your emergency brake.
- ∑ If rear-wheel drive, back into the space and set the emergency brake.
When buying a new vehicle consider looking for:
- ∑ A factory immobilizer (computer chip in the key)
- ∑ A locking steering wheel
- ∑ Other anti-theft devices such as an alarm